> "marshalling resources" == sending ~200 bytes across a local ( localhost
> on unix ) socket connection. To go to execute something ( Perl script of
> Java or whatever ) that will be at least a couple of orders of magnitude
> slower.

Okay, maybe I haven't explained what I'm proposing carefully enough.

My proposal:

XMail:
    module that opens socket connection to another
    daemon, local or otherwise.  Module sends parameters to other daemon
(not the whole message).

Daemon (servlet, perl server, whatever)
    Listens for connections, analyzes parameters, processes requests and
sends a confirmation back to XMail server.

Advantage:  The programs used for processing on the daemon are precompiled,
and presumably "in-memory", will be able to process more quickly.  This is
the case with the Scope server and any Servlet.  Also "extends" XMail making
it possible to code stuff in a lot of scripting languages besides Perl,
basically in anything that will run under an http server.

Rob