I've seen this problem several times before with Outlook Express and
Outlook; haven't seen it with any other MUA.

I don't know the root of the problem, however I suspect it's something
to do with Outlook/Express's function of being able to leave mail on the
server & delete it from the server when it's deleted from the
Outlook/Express trash can.  Seems OE is able to tell if a message on the
server is new or previously read, however at times it refuses to
download messages that are waiting on the server.

My advice is drop OE & get something that works & is more secure.  Try
Pegasus; it does plenty that OE can't, will download all your mail, &
won't leave you with a trashed system or other damage due to viruses in
your mail.

Adrian Hicks

--
MIS Project Manager