Here are the options you have

Within server.tab:

[EnableAuthSMTP-POP3]

Enable SMTP after POP3 authentication (default on).

With this option whenever a user connects to check his mail (POP3) he is
authenticated for a small period of time to send mail from his IP with SMTP
to relay messages.

You should enable this option if you want, otherwise you must check the box
on your email software "my SMTP server requires authentication" so each time
a user connects to the server to send a mail the software will first send a
username and password and be permitted to relay messages to other servers.
If no username and password are used, then mail can only be delivered to
users that are defined on your server.

[mail-auth]

authentication required to send mail to the server. Please note that by
setting this value everything requires authentication, even for sending to
local domains, and this is probably not what you want.

With this option SMTP authentication is *REQUIRED* to send any mail to the
server. This is not the option you want, since it will deny other servers to
connect to yours and deliver mails to local users. If you enable this option
its sort of like locking the mail man out of your apartment building, noone
can get their mail because the mailman does not have a key and cannot get in
to deliver your mail.

You need to understand that what you want to restict is being on open relay,
that is spammers can connect to your server and send massive amounts of spam
to users on other servers. Spammers will always be able to connect directly
to your server and send spam mails directly to the users on your server,
since that is the only way possible to handle mail.