I think you will need to setup Xmail with local users and redirect them.
Which is not as hard as it might sound.
Assuming the Xmail server handles the old domain and would forward mail to
the server handling the new domain (GroupWise).  Further to this assumption,
if all the Xmail server is doing is translating from old to new email
addresses, then use the server.tab setting

DefaultSMTPGateways[TAB]ip-address-of-new-server

This will force xmail to 'drop' all its outbound mail on the GroupWise
server.  This will negate the requirement that xmail will have to dns lookup
the new server, and also you may have limited access through your firewall.

First look at the readme, search for XMAIL ADMIN PROTOCOL
Then construct a file of commands that will create the accounts and set the
redirection.
(I use Excel or a custom written program to do my string manipulation to
create the command file.)
Next telnet to the xmail admin server (port 6017 by default)
And paste (or pipe) in the commands from the file created above.

The command file would start like this.
"admin-user"[TAB]"mysecurepassword"<CR><LF>
useradd[TAB]"old-domain"[TAB]"old-username"[TAB]"any-password"[TAB]U<CR><LF>
usersetmproc[TAB]"old-domain"[TAB]"old-username"<CR><LF>
redirect[TAB]"new-address"<CR><LF>
..
useradd[TAB]"old-domain"[TAB]"old-username"[TAB]"any-password"[TAB]U<CR><LF>
usersetmproc[TAB]"old-domain"[TAB]"old-username"<CR><LF>
redirect[TAB]"new-address"<CR><LF>
..
**repeat the above 4 lines for each user**
====================================
In my example anything in dbl quotes should be replaced with your info -
leaving the quotes intact.
ie.
"admin-user"        => "admin"
"mysecurepassword"  => "password"
"old-domain"        => "sub.ajax.com"
"old-username"      => "UserA"
"any-password"      => "@#$%^"
"new-address"       => "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
All lines must be terminated with <CR><LF> characters.  (DOS file)
and all [TAB] markers are actually a tab character.
The DOT after the redirect is important to be the first char on its own
line.

That's the easy way to create and redirect 5000 users.  Test it with a few
users first and then you might want to 'import' them in smaller batches.

I use XPAI (see Xmailserver.org home page) to do my xmail admin.  It is a
php front end to the command structure listed above.

Happy redirecting

Rob  :-)