---------- quoting Michail Tchoudinov ----------
> Check that you have disabled SSL and TLS support in Courier's configs.
> This is because PHP can not deal with SSL/TLS.
> http://www.smartpost.ro/install.php#imap

Ok, switched back to courier 1.7 and now everything works as expected :)

But I have two more questions:
1.) Isn't it possible to start courier-imap-ssl as well (*beside* normal
courier-imap), so that users can connect to the server with encrypted
connections from their outlook client? Can't I start courier-imap w/o SSL
*and* courier-imap-ssl w/ SSL?

2.) What would be the "best" way to integrate an autoresponder into this
webmail interface? I would write it for myself if there are no options,
but can somebody push me to the right direction please?

Greetings, Matthias

--
All right, I have thought this through.  I will send Bart the money to
fly home, then I will murder him.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Bart on the Road