I've decided that I am going to pass on the header and a message (with
modified subject line) to virus recipients saying that a virus was
intercepted.  This way if there is a false positive they can let me know
and I can go and check the keep folder for them.  It is also nice to
'advertise' that you did intercept the virus for them aka job security.

My plan is to do further modifications to XAV to this end, but I do not
know much about the structure of the email files.  What is the format of
the file / is the first blank line basically the end of the header?  Are
there any other formatting rules to follow?

Thanks,

... Jason Badry