Liron Newman wrote:

> alex wrote:
>

>>I don't know if this is offtopic, in that case: i'm sorry :)
>>
>>bit.nl (a dutch provider) started to put ip-addresses from emailing
>>virusinfected computers in a database. I thought this might be useful for
>>people fighting spam :)
>>
>>more info: http://virbl.bit.nl/
>
> I think this is useless at best and harmful at worst. These are not
> spammers or spammers' ISPs.. These are innocent users. What would you

yeah i know, i wrote spam instead of viruses. you got the point anyway.

> get by blocking them? Nothing, there would be a zillion other infected
> ones. Plus, get an AV filter for your server instead, you'd need it
> anyway as there's no way you'd catch all virus-sending IPs. And when

true

> they clean their system, what then? Who would unlist them?

you clearly didn't read the webpage, the ip addresses are listed only for
24hours.

> I'm using XAV with F-Prot on my server and the only thing about viruses
> that bothers me is getting all the delivery errors. And there's nothing
> that IP database can do about that...
>
> Maybe I misunderstood the idea but what you describe here isn't really
> an answer...

Maybe you're right, i don't know. It was just a suggestion. But couldnt it
be that this is faster than scanning every email for viruses?

--
alex