At 08:38 6/3/2004, you wrote:
>I think this is useless at best and harmful at worst. These are not
>spammers or spammers' ISPs.. These are innocent users. What would you
>get by blocking them? Nothing, there would be a zillion other infected
>ones. Plus, get an AV filter for your server instead, you'd need it
>anyway as there's no way you'd catch all virus-sending IPs. And when

At the risk of contributing to thread drift here, about 50% of the spam
coming into my network comes from end-user machines. Blocking end user
machines (by RDNS, by defining patterns that block the dynamically assigned
addresses but not the ISP mail servers) has cut the spam flowing into my
network *significantly*, *without* the loss of any truly legitimate mail
(I've had *one* person (in six months time) contact me through other means
and tell me they were trying to reach me and it was blocked in this manner
- and that was easily fixed).

So, it's nowhere near useless, and not nearly as harmful as you might
think.....

(PS: I do have a virus scanner - but it hasn't caught a single virus in
weeks, because I have the dynamic addresses blocked and that's were most
viruses originate, as direct-to-MX mailings.)