At 03:09 6/11/2004, Goesta Smekal wrote:
>I do a similar thing for two months : Every mail reportet to be infected
>gets a
>second treatment:
>
>* look for originating IP (of SMTP envelope, _not_ headers)
>* resolve its domain
>* get the MX for that domain
>* if the IPs are not equal, block the host, since it is an infected, non MX
>host.
>
>This approach works _very_ fine (not a single complain ever since, opposed to
>three complaints due to RDNS check, which started the same time) the SMTP load
>actually is _reduced_ and the "SNDRIP=EIPSPAM" is constantly rising :-)
>.... and
>of course the virus/day rate is sinking.

This will break rather spectacularly on some larger ISP traffic, since many
larger ISPs (AOL, RoadRunner, Comcast, a number of others) do not send
their mail from the same machines which receive it. MX records are for
machines that receive mail - while a *lot* of places also send mail from
the same machines, a lot of places (especially high volume sources of mail)
do not.