From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tracy
Sent: Tuesday, 29 June 2004 12:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [xmail] Idea: Policy levels

This is not a feature request - it's as yet too inchoate. More a request for
the various people on the list to kick the idea around and see if it has any
value to anyone other than me. If it does, perhaps we can firm it up into a
feature request for a future version of XMail.

I'm looking for a way to set, for lack of a better term, a policy level on
local recipient accounts. The best way to explain this is by example.

Let's say that I have four users: Larry ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), Moe
([EMAIL PROTECTED]), Curly ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and Shep ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
Now, Larry wants to receive *all* email addressed to his account, regardless
of what it contains (spam, viruses, correspondence, dynamite, whatever).
Moe, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to receive spam, but has
absolutely no use for viruses. Curly doesn't want to receive either spam or
viruses, and Shep, well, Shep only wants to receive email from a specific
list of sources - no worries about what's in those emails, but nothing from
anyone who's not on his list.

Now, obviously, each of these users requests would represent a policy level
on the types and sources of mail that can be sent to those accounts. For
instance, Larry might represent policy level 0 (unrestricted), Moe might be
policy level 1 (virus filtering), Curly would be policy level 2 (spam and
virus filtering), and Shep policy level 3 (whitelist only).

And that's all great and wonderful - except... What happens if someone sends
a spam addressed to Moe, Curly and Shep, in the same envelope? I have no way
to handle it except to accept then bounce - which, for spam, is almost a
guaranteed forged sender for the bounce. But according to the user's
requested policies, I can't deliver the spam (if it's detected as
spam) to Curly, and I definitely can't deliver it to Shep, because it came
from a source not on his whitelist.

So, what I need is a way to have a policy level set on individual users, so
that recipients can be temp-failed if their policy setting is more
restrictive than the other recipients.

Now, obviously, I don't know exactly where and how to implement this, but I
was thinking that it might be implemented as a variable in the user.tab for
the recipient similar to the "ReceiveEnabled" or "PopEnable" settings -
something along the lines of "PolicyLevel" with an integer value. Obviously
it doesn't matter what significance the user (or admin) attaches to the
various policy levels, so long as it's consistent that a lower number means
a less restrictive policy - or perhaps temp-fail all recipients who's policy
setting isn't identical to previous recipients.

To carry this back to our example, let's say that the first recipient on an
incoming email is Curly, at policy level 2. Using whatever means, XMail
retrieves and stores the policy level number when Curly is accepted as a
recipient. Now the second recipient is Moe, at policy level 1. At this
point, we could either accept Moe as a recipient (since his policy level is
lower than Curly's), or we could temp-fail (417 User has different policy
level - retry separately) this recipient. And the third recipient, Shep, has
policy level 3 - this would definitely result in a temp-fail, since policy
level 3 is more restrictive than any previously encountered recipient's
policy level.

While the specific examples I've presented are contrived, they do represent
the situation that I find myself in - needing to be able to accept or
temp-fail specific recipients of a specific email transaction based on local
policies.

Any thoughts? Does this sound useful enough to consider implementing, or am
I out on a limb here and about to fall into a very big kettle of stew?

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe xmail" in the body
of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For general help: send the line
"help" in the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]