At 00:24 7/1/2004, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> > Now, obviously, each of these users requests would represent a policy
> level
> > on the types and sources of mail that can be sent to those accounts. For
> > instance, Larry might represent policy level 0 (unrestricted), Moe
> might be
> > policy level 1 (virus filtering), Curly would be policy level 2 (spam and
> > virus filtering), and Shep policy level 3 (whitelist only).
>
>Why do you want to bolt this kind of policies into XMail? What's wrong
>with per-user filters, that you already have in mailproc.tab?

Because I don't want to have to bounce messages after receiving them - I
want to be able to reject them during the protocol session. If I accept the
message with recipients at different policy levels, then it turns out to be
undeliverable to one of the recipients, I then have to figure out what to
do with the message (in terms of sending back - or not sending back,
depending on the type of message - a notification to the original sender,
or delivering it anyway in contradiction of policy, or just dumping it on
the floor, or whatever). Whereas if I can temp-fail a recipient for not
being at the same policy level, I don't have this problem because I can do
policy related rejects during the protocol session (using pre-data and
post-data filters) when warranted.

I've done a custom mod to 1.20 to handle this - it took adding one member
variable to the SMTPS structure, lines to init or reset that variable in
the InitSession and ResetSession routines, and about 8 lines of code in the
CheckForwardPath routine. And it temp-fails with a 471, which I've verified
works fine with several different mail servers I have access to.

So, I'm a happy camper myself - I just thought it might be something useful
to others, and wanted to open the floor to discussion. But since no one
else has chimed in, I'm guessing it's probably not a "high demand" item, so
probably shouldn't be added to the main distro. I can maintain my own
little branch of the code base, carrying the code for this forward locally
for new versions.

Unless you just want to add it in...:)