I agree and don't agree ;-)

I agree to 'unusual' situation for a telnet session :
Explicitly saying 'syntax error' is effectivly not 'mandatory' but help
troubleshooting

I don't agree to "it doesn't say the destination should reject if not
properly encoded" :
Returning a 5xx error for this situation is 'recommanded' (if not =
required ?
....), saying 'permanent error' not 'temporary error' (as with a 4xx =
code)...
And if rfc says 'mail' syntax IS (not should be) 'MAIL FROM :
<emailaddress>' how incorrect syntax can be 'temporary' and/or accepted =
?

Just another point of view ;-)

Francis