On Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:14 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Alex Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know this is an old topic but I have been holding onto the emails
> about it until I came to set it up myself.
>
> I would like to set up a secondary Xmail server that forwards all
> email to the primary Xmail server. I don't want to keep setting up
> domains in the 'custdomains' folder each time we add a new domain,
> but there are a few entries in 'custdomains' for customers who have
> us do secondary MX for them or domain redirection for them.
>
> Can I just specify the primary Xmail server as the default place to
> send all email to unless there is a 'custdomains' entry?

You really don't want that!

Imagine if a spammer attacks you and sends 10000 mails to your backup mx
(and he will choose the backup mx because he knows that it's often not that
good protected as the main server). If the mails are getting forwarded to
the main server, it rejects them because the users are unknown / relaying
denied etc. Now your backup MX produces 10000 bounce mails and sends them to
the faked originally senders. That is somehow a horror but it's reality,
too - with all those lame mailserver administrators in the world.

That happens in both cases - redirecting all incoming mail to the main
server _AND_ using custom domains.

What you want, is CMDALIASES. Create real domains on the backup MX as you
did on the main server. Then add a file cmdaliases/<domain>/<user>.tab for
each user with content:

smtprelay<tab><ip of main server>

That is the only way to have a real nice backup mx. Of course, if your user
amount is bigger you want to automate it, but it's no problem with the CTRL
protocol to write a little sync script. I prefer tunneling the CTRL
connection to the remote XMail server via SSH. That is quick, nice and
secure.

I hope that helped you.