From: Dario [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:47 AM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] R: Re: Problems with hotmail.com

That should be in RFC 2671...

Dario

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Per
conto di Tracy
Inviato: domenica 13 marzo 2005 14.43
A: xmail@xmailserver.org
Oggetto: [xmail] Re: Problems with hotmail.com

At 00:09 3/13/2005, Kroll, David wrote:
>This is a Win2003 DNS issue.
>Some mailservers behind firewalls which do not allow transfer of UDP
packets
>larger than 512 bytes may not be able to return the MX record
>
>If your firewall restricts UDP packet transfers though, you may want to
>verify that it will allow transfer of a MX record within the size
>limitations specified by RFC1035:
>
>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1035.html
>
>Windows 2003 server has included Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS0) to
>allow larger packets.  If you run this command on a 2003 server: "dnscmd
>Server Name/Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0", it fixes it without making any
>changes to the firewall.

OK, did I miss something, or have UDP-based DNS messages been changed since
the last time I looked?

<checks RFC1035>

Nope... Still a 512 octet message length (section 2.3.4). Any UDP-based DNS
message longer than that is not RFC compliant, and (IMHO) should be
blocked. That's why there's a method to fall back to TCP when there's more
data to be returned than will fit in a 512 octet message....

If there's an RFC that allows larger packets in UDP, could you reference it
please?

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s