Hi Harald,

On Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:17 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Harald Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wonder if binding to an outgoing IP can be forced on application =
> level.
> There is an option for sendmail which seems to do exactly this:
>
> ---------
> ClientPortOptions
>
> This option is similar to the DaemonPortOptions but is meant only for
> __outgoing__ connections.
>
> The steps to set this option are same as those for the
> DaemonPortOptions except that the option name ClientPortOptions
> should be specified = instead of
> DaemonPortOptions.
        ^^^^

It's the outgoing Ports, _NOT_ the IP!

I know that on linux the systems handles this with it's routing table. An
application cannot bind to an outgoing IP!

Don't believe route command - just do a:

# ip route

and additionally a:

# ip addr

and you can see exactly what is going on - here example of my local nets:

# ip route
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth2  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.1
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.1

>From manpage:

       src ADDRESS
              the source address to prefer when sending to the destinations
covered by the route prefix.