On 19 May 2005, at 9:44, Javier Navarro wrote:

>   Hi
>   Last days I've been using RDNS and RBL (sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org) ckecks
>   and many of my customers had problems. Some because they couldn't
>   receive e-mail from other ISPs that didn't configure RDNS and others
>   because they couldn't receive mail from blacklisted IPs.
>
>   I'm having RDNS problems even with important companies here in Spain
>   and it's dificult to explain my customers that this is caused by
>   other's bad configuration. My customers say: "Yesterday I could
>   recive from XXXX and now I can't. What did you changed?". And some
>   of these important companies say they can't set a RDNS record since
>   they host several services per IP.
>
>   I write to ask you about your experience with RDNS and RBLs. What
>   configuration do you use? What RBL servers do you use?

I have "SMTP-RDNSCheck" "-2" after finding I was rejecting emails
from the local council (their RDNS has subsequently been fixed and
had previously been OK but went missing for a couple of months when
they changed ISP). That happened on same day I tried rejecting on no
RDNS and I was able to determine as far as their email client was
concerned a delay of 7 seconds was too much and with 4 seconds mail
came through.

What I've found effective is setting a delay for IP blocks in
spammers.tab and "SMTP-MaxErrors" "2" which seems to result in
rejection of majority of incoming spam here and so far no false
positives (home user so don't get that much email anyway).

David