I have never seen or used "mta_start_script=" - based on what you sent,
though, I doubt you are using it properly and I have no idea what the
side effects of your approach will be.  My scripts in/etc/rc.d and
/usr/local/etc/rc.d start up fine without it (in 5.3. and 5.4).  If it
works, though, great - just be careful is isn't doing something
unexpected, like preventing other necessary services in /etc/rc.conf
from starting or something.

I find sendmail a bit confusing - it has several modes of operation (you
can probably find out all about it in it's ridiculously long man page) -
sendmail_enable="no", sendmail_enable="yes", sendmail_enable="none" and
I recall (but this may be wrong) sendmail_enable="both".
sendmail_enalbe="no" will still allow sendmail to send mail out that it
gets a hold of, and thos may be what you want for admin messages and the
like that XMail may not retrieve.  This is actually how I do it.

The process you have running I'm not so certain about - sendmail still
looks active, but given what you wrote I don't know in what "mode".

Jeff