As I said, xmail 1.17 (with smartDNSHost too and same microsoft dns server)
worked well.
But I will take a try asap with a test server without smartdnshost at all
(xmail doing completly the dns search from root servers)

Even if Hotmail and Yahoo are busy and slow, it does not explain the A
record use ... or xmail switch back automaticaly to the A record when too
delivery attempts fail on all mx records ? I don't think so, as if there is
mx records for a domain you must only use them and never try to use any A
ptr to the domain ...

For the hotmail case, if you get hotmail mx list, you get many mx records
and if you resolve any final target name pointed by these mx you find a lot
of ips returned, so hotmail is doing load balancing at mx records then at mx
names ...
Does this configuration could confuse xmail ?
And as nslookup or dig (from a freebsd box) directed the used microsoft dns
server and then comparing results with then using a no microsoft server (a
bind server) get exactly the same results, I not sure the dns is causing the
trouble here ...
(I need to trace tcp dns for the two to compare exact responses ...)

Francis