On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Edinilson J. Santos wrote:

> XMail become "strange" after hotmail.com put the following big header:
>
> 220 mc10-f3.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to
> Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at
> http://priv
> acy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment located
> in California and other states. Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:26:51 -0700
>
> After that, those errors started.

XMail uses a 2KB buffer to read responses, so that's hardly a problem
(even because other XMail setups around the world gets the same response).
More likely is something in the middle that is "confused" by the response.
I have already seen this when SMTP AV appliances or broken CISCO FWs are
in the loop.