From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jeff Buehler
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 1:50 AM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: messages to yahoo and or hotmail does not get del
ivered

Hmmm - so far, you two are the only ones that are verified as having the
exact same problem sending to Yahoo and Hotmail - there may be others, but
we haven't verified that, is that correct?  You both have the same
configuration (exactly, as Edinilson pointed out).  So what do we know so
far?

1. WIN 2000 service pack 4
2. MS DNS from Win 2000 on a different system than XMail and presently using
SmartDNSHost (Edlinilson pointed out he seemed to have the problem even
without SmartDNSHost)
3. Neither of you is in the US (does this increase the likelihood of failed
connection attempts (?) or do these providers have systems spread globally
(?))
4. XMail 1.21 (but Edinilson pointed out that other versions down to 1.17
behaved the same way)
5. Francis has verified that with this configuration XMail seems to be using
A records on occasion when it should be using MX records
6. The problem is intermittent and ONLY happens with Hotmail and Yahoo
7. Edinilson has verified that the problem does not exist when using MS SMTP
to send from the same configuration, so it seems somehow related to XMail.
On this issue I have found XMail to be extremely RFC compliant (I think that
was one of Davides intentions) and it may be that MS SMTP is doing something
"extra" to overcome some known issue that we have yet to discover with
Hotmail, Yahoo, DNS, or something else.
8. Many or most others running XMail are not having this problem.  It
remains to be seen if others running it on Windows 2000 do or don't.

So here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Try it on Windows 2003 server if you can - 2000 is starting to get a
little grey at the temples anyway.
2. Try it on Linux or *BSD (FreeBSD!  FreeBSD!)

If you still have the same problem with these configurations, then the
problem likely has to do with your infrastructure outside of the OS - some
funky problem that defies imagination, but that IT people are all quite
familiar with!  You know, the kind of problem where you stand there with
your mouth hanging open and mutter: "huh?" and it never makes any sense, or
a distinction in the way it interacts with XMail that is unusual.

Without being able to replicate the behavior, you have a very limited test
group - you two (so far!)  If I could replicate the behavior, and had any
time left over after typing this email, then I would help, but at the moment
it is up to you!  I don't think anyone is ignoring XMail under Windows, but
finding any possible bug without being able to easily replicate it is
extremely difficult...

Jeff