Hi Charlie -

Well, I'm uncertain what to tell you.  My suspicion, since I have heard
of no one having this particular sort of problem (there is a large XMail
user base running 1.21 on Linux) is that there is something being
overlooked.  I would double check your findings as "scientifically" as
possible, and make absolutely certain that what you think you are seeing
is really what you are seeing.  Make certain that the addresses you are
using are all valid, that the logs are definately not reporting anything
strange, your XMail server.tab settings look right, and so on.

If you are certain about your findings, then I would start looking at
other apps that may be interfering or trying to bind to the ports, such
as Sendmail (which should be disabled, or at least XMail and Sendmail
should be binding to different ports).  If that all looks good, I would
test your connection to make certain that packets aren't dropping or
something.  make certain your MTU setting is correct (if you are
connecting via DSL PPP then it is likely less than the default of 1500
as I recall).  I have had incorrect MTU settings cause intermittent
failures that can be difficult to pin down.

Without at least one or two other people verifying the findings or
seeing the behavior, it probably indicates to an misconfiguration (of
some sort) or an anomaly on your system.  Did you try searching the
forums for any similar user experiences?

Jeff