I am familiar with that thread, but I am not certain that these problems
are exactly the same (I think there are some confusing crossovers in the
original thread, which was very protracted).

I am running FreeBSD 5.4, Bind 9.31.

I do not get simple "end of socket stream data" messages - this one is
the only one I have been getting (550-EarthLink does not recognize your
computer (67.102.229.138) as connecting from an EarthLink connection. If
this is in error, please contact technical support) and just recently.
I do not have problems sending to Hotmail.

The Microsoft DNS does seem to have a problem that is related as it
leads to the same errors, but in my case does not apply (at least not
directly).  Check this out:

http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2004/06/02/exchangeproblems

So, I am not certain that the problem you refer to and this are exactly
related, although they are certainly related to some degree.  I vaguely
recall, however, that XMail does do an A record check if the MX records
fail, is that right?  I guess that is what I am trying to verify at the
moment, since according to what I have read this would lead to a problem
with the Earthlink servers specifically if all MX sends failed.

The only other reference I found that might be of help was that
Earthlink seems to change their DNS regularly, and that bogus DNS
caching might be related.  To that end I deleted the DNS entries from
MailRoot -> dnscache->MX, which might have helped (hard to verify).

Thanks,
Jeff