On Tuesday 06 December 2005 09:54, Achim Schmidt wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> because of the amount of Virus-Emails we are facing a major problem now.
> First let me explain our current MX-Constellation:
>
> - Mail for exmaple.com has MX-Entries to mx.waaf.net
> - mx.waaf.net are several machines running postfix/virusscanner
> - if the email passes all tests it is delivered to the final destination
> machine running xmail
> - [EMAIL PROTECTED] also sent email through this xmail-box.
>
> Now there are more and more viruses that don't care about MX-Records and
> drectly try to deliver mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] to mail.exmaple.com.
> Mail.example.com resolves to the xmail-box.
>

> My solution to get rid of this non-filtered Virus-Emails is to only
> allow SMTP-connections to the xmail-box from our subnets, where the
> mx.waaf.net machines are located _AND_ from authorized IP-adresses
> (SMTP-AUTH, POP-before-SMTP).
>
> I just tried to use smtp.ipmap.tab - but with the result that only the
> mentioned subnets where allowed to relay and authoriezed IP-adresses
> where denied.

I don't have an XMail solution to your problem, but if it were up to me I
would prefer to handle this with DNS or firewall changes anyway.

Idea 1 - Delete the "mail" CNAME (or change the host name and A record) for
the example.com server. Assign a less obvious name like smtp42 and have the
authorized clients use the smtp42 alias.

Idea 2 - Adjust the firewall rules on mail.example.com to only allow port 25
connection from the authorized IPs and reject everything else.

Idea 3 - If your server supports it, use DNAT on mail.example.com to forward
port 25 traffic to mx.waaf.net.

Jeff