After getting lots of mail rejected by Earthlink and others because of
domain name A records instead of MX records, about a year ago I made the
following changes to SMAILSrv.cpp:

In the USmtpGetFwdGateways() function I added the following code at about
line 782:

        if ( ppszMXGWs == NULL ) {
                 MXS_HANDLE hMXSHandle = USmtpGetMXFirst( hSvrConfig,
pszDestDomain, szDomainMXHost );

ADDED:  if ( hMXSHandle == INVALID_MXS_HANDLE ) {       // fix for failing
toget MX record.
ADDED:           Sleep( 5000 );  // wait 5 seconds and try again
ADDED:           hMXSHandle = USmtpGetMXFirst( hSvrConfig, pszDestDomain,
szDomainMXHost );
ADDED:  }

                 if ( hMXSHandle != INVALID_MXS_HANDLE ) {

A bit of a kludge but I have not seen the problem since.