Soenke Ruempler wrote:
> Hi Davide,
>
> On 30.10.2006 19:20, Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
>> How many would appreciate per-RCPT SMTP filter capabilities?
>
> I'm voting for this, too. But how is your idea of implementation if more
> than one RCPTS are given by the client?
>
> I guess the filter will be executed once for every RCPT - the .tab file
> would be like this:
>
>  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"<tab>"binary"<tab>"@@FILE"...
>  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"<tab>"binary"<tab>"@@FILE"...
>
> Just for understanding some example case:
>
> I have a spam filter that's user-based and can reject mails at SMTP
> stage. I want to execute it at SMTP POST-DATA stage. Now a mail arrives
> with, say, 2 RCPT's. Both have a filter line in the new SMTP filter system.
>
> Filter is executed for RCPT A - and passed.
> Filter is executed for RCPT B - and rejected (higher spam level than Aor
> smth.).
>
> Now the entire mail with be rejected, won't it? I know, that's nature of
> SMTP - it's only for understanding.
>
> The big advantage is that we'd have control about filter execution (and
> not only global filters anymore).
>
> Thanks.

It should be possible, based on return code to make only the recipient
fail. For example, let's say the filter returns 4 (to reject this
recipient). The SMTP fail code could be 471, which  means only this
recipient failed. However, if the filter returns 4 + 16, then the SMTP
fail code could be a 5xx code, meaning that the entire transaction fails.

My own thought was to allow the filter writer to specify any SMTP error
code and message (perhaps in a .REJ file or some similiar method), and
simply indicate to XMail by the filter return code whether to terminate
mail processing for the message, or simply dump this recipient.

But I suppose it will be up to Davide how he wants to handle this...

Tracy