----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <xmail@xmailserver.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:09 PM
Subject: [xmail] Re: Testing TLS

> I understand that part, but I have a third file, called sometimes called an
> intermediate certificate, which is required with my server.cert file.
>
> In the Apache world, it's installed as described in the URL:
> http://info.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10741
>
> How do I do something similar in the Xmail world?

This is a matter of client configuration:

for your mailclient to be able to verify the server cert presented by the
server (server.cert),
it needs to have the public part of the signing CA available locally, which in
this case
is the intermediate (CA) certificate you mention. But this is not all, that
intermediate
cert was once signed by another root autorithy. That CA cert also has to be
available to
the client (locally) in order for the client to verify the full chain.

by available locally to the client, I mean a certificate storage facility tied
to the client
in question. In your case with Thunderbird, you get to the certificate
management from
the "Security" section, present under account-settings. (Edit -> Preferences)

Import your intermediate CA certificate to the client cert storage and be gone
with the warning.

Thomas Loo
Saltstorm Software labs.