I don't understand your response, Davide, as Rob pointed out the fact =
that
xmail tried to connect to
        Server:    <www.optusnet.com.au> [211.29.132.105]
And you response used :=20
        Server:    <mail.optusnet.com.au> [211.29.132.250]

So, even if the final user doesn't exist, it's not the real problem
mentionned/reported by Rob :)
The question seems to be (correct me, Rob, if not correct) :

Why xmail used/choosed/got/tried/... WWW.optusnet.com.au on Rob server =
and
not MAIL.optusnet.com.au the effectively declared MX for optusnet.com, =
as
your server ?
And Rob digs seemed to proove that there is no 'dns' problem from its =
server
as a mx search return effectively MAIL.optusnet.com as the MX !?!?
Rfc seems to say (if I interpreted them correctly) : IF at least one mx
entry is found user ONLY the mx list, even if all/some busy, =
unreachable,
(next retries must continue to use the MX entries, and never fallback =
to A
records....). A records usage "could" be used only as an alternative =
"auto
mx" when NO mx entries exist.

A dns server in the route that automaticaly add the A record as an
'autogenerated' MX entry ?

Any test that Rob could run to try to find the reason (bad isp cache =
dns,
....) ?

Francis