Davide Libenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, John Kielkopf wrote:
>

>> I'm probably missing something here, but falling back to the A record
>> after timeouts would seem to be the wrong course of action.  Couldn't a
>> temporary connectivity issue caused Xmail to incorrectly fall-back to an
>> A record for a domain, and worse yet, cache that A record for later use?
>>

> XMail does not cache A record attempts. Next one would still try to
> re-fetch MX records.

Still, you would think a timeout on a MX record lookup (from every
domain DNS server) should also result in a time-out when looking up an A
record.  If you can get an A record without a timeout, then you should
be able to at least get a nodata response on MX lookup.  Good that Xmail
does not cache the A record, but falling back to an A record after
timeout on MX lookup still seems like a bad idea.