From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Davide Libenzi
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:51 AM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: 1.25-pre06 ...

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Rob Arends wrote:

> SO.... Getting back to the real issue at hand...
> Why would a VERY large ISP (optusnet.com.au) be broken.
> It certainly is not broken now when DIGs are done.
> The only difference is that one NS that wasn't responding - it now is.
> And you say that xmail tries all NS records until it gets valid results or
> all NS are exhausted, so one NS not responding should not be a problem.
>
> Unfortunately the reason I switched to SMARTDNSHOST years ago was due to
the
> reliability of xmail's DNS lookup routines.
> I use 'named' as a caching DNS server and point xmail to it and have had
> very little problem caused by lookup failure since.
>
> Within one day of trying NO SMARTDNSHOST on 1.25pre06, I had undeliverable
> emails.
> I have since re-enabled SMARTDNSHOST and again I have no problems (the
user
> has resent the emails successfully).

I had no problems in sending to that domain, and in general I had no
problems whatsoever so far with it.
You didn't try to resend to that domain, did you? You probably hit a
temporary network problem, you saw the message XMail generated, and you
posted to the mailing list. Why it is more rare that you see this using a
'named' resolver? Because 'named' caches *everything*, so it is easier
that temporary network problems end up being hidden by its caching.