From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Juan Carlos Muro
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 11:15 PM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: -ERR Invalid Syntax on PASS command (POP)

Thanks for the advice Davide!=20
So I inquired the next issue with the '-ERR Invalid auth or access
denied' error. I have inserted/edit many debug points in the source
code. I found where the problem was:

* In POP3Utils.cpp:

POP3_HANDLE UPopBuildSession(const char *pszDomain, const char
*pszUsrName,
                             const char *pszUsrPass, SYS_INET_ADDR const
*pPeerInfo)
{
        [...]
        if (pszUsrPass !=3D NULL && strcmp(pszUsrPass, pUI->pszPassword)
!=3D 0) {
                ErrSetErrorCode(ERR_INVALID_PASSWORD);
                UsrFreeUserInfo(pUI);
                return INVALID_POP3_HANDLE;
        }
        printf("[POP3Utils.cpp] UPopBuildSession[1]:\n"); // I reach
this checkpoint
        if (UsrPOP3Lock(pUI) < 0) {
                UsrFreeUserInfo(pUI);
                return INVALID_POP3_HANDLE;
        }
        printf("[POP3Utils.cpp] UPopBuildSession[2]:\n"); // Checkpoint
not reached [!]
        [...]
}

Here clearly saw that the password validation was ok after issuing 'PASS
the_passwd' to the server. After it, was necessary to add the next
checkpoint:

* In UsrUtils.cpp:

int UsrPOP3Lock(UserInfo *pUI)
{
        char szLockPath[SYS_MAX_PATH] =3D "";

        UsrGetPop3LocksPath(pUI, szLockPath, sizeof(szLockPath));
=09
        printf("[UsrUtils.cpp] UsrPOP3Lock[1]: szLockPath =3D %s\n",
szLockPath);
        if (SysLockFile(szLockPath) < 0)
                return ErrGetErrorCode();

        return 0;
}

That threw straight to my eyes:
[UsrUtils.cpp] UsrPOP3Lock[1]: szLockPath =3D
/var/lib/xmail/pop3locks/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And not, the directory 'pop3locks' didn't exist! After reviewing the
documentation, paying special attention to the "MailRoot structure"
section, I realized that still many directories were not yet created...
So, I crated the as appointed by the doc, and problem fixed! xDD

So, again, the most valuable advice once again was: read the docs
carefully! xDDDD

Only one proposal for the xmail developers: maybe to be more specific
with the '-ERR Invalid auth or access denied' message, to differentiate
whether the fail is owed to authentication or to file
creation/manipulation... ;)

Thanks!

JC