Ok, but what does xmail when all the servers in the smtprelay list return a
5xx code ? Retry later ?

Same think 'retry later' when, in normal delivery (no smtprelay use) all the
mx servers for the destination domain return a 5xx errors ?

If yes, 'retry later', IMOO, it's not the good action to take as all reject
with a fatal error.
So, as xmail works now, if all return a 5xx, xmail will wait until all
retries are done on all relays/mx before sending a ndr ?

IMOO, in theses cases (all smtpgateways/mx return a 5xx) xmail should stop
processing the mail and return an ndr to the sender. No ?
(I will read rfc 2821 again to try to find the options availables on 5xx and
multiple relays/mx cases in an unique retry cycle)

Francis