On Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:22 AM, Davide Libenzi wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Rob Arends wrote:

>> Davide, just out of curiosity.
>>
>> Regarding the LF on disk vs CRLF in the SMTP protocol:
>>
>> Could you have read the file and converted LF->CRLF on the fly while
sending
>> the TCP data?

>This is what I do now, for Unixes. Windows messages gets sent vanilla.

Oh ok, I thought the new tmp folder was to create the CRLF version so you
could just sendfile().
I must have mis read.

I think I assumed that:

Davide: "This avoided creating extra copies of the
message file during the SMAIL processing."

Was related to the next sentence:

Davide: "In order to shove an extra file copy during
the processing,..."

But see it only relates to:

Davide: "...when it comes to SMAIL local delivery."
As opposed to remote delivery.

Did I get it right now?

>> Or does that create a performance hit that is unacceptable?

>A simple sendfile() (for Linux) is going to be faster, that's sure. I'm
>pretty darn sure that nobody will notice the difference.

Yeah I thought so.