On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Gilad Odinak wrote:

> I have two independent xmail servers in two physical locations, each hosting a
> single domain. The second server is also configured to relay emails received
> for the first domain to the first server. Finally the MX records of the first
> domain contain two entries: the first entry points to the first server and
> second entry points to the second server.
>
> Thus, emails for the first domain normally go to the first server, but if it
> is not reachable they go to the second server, and it forwards them to the
> first server. emails for the second domain are only processed by the second
> server.
>
> Both servers are configured to use CustMapsList, with a delay of 3 seconds
> from email from suspected sources (i.e. "CustMapsList"  "zen.spamhaus.org:-3")
> That effectively cuts out all spam... except for spam sent to the first domain
> through the second server.

With -3 you're not going to cut SPAM. I suggest you use 0 or 1 instead.
I'd also suggest to use GLST (greylisting) to help with SPAM and Worms/Viruses.
CustMapsList works before routing decisions are taken, so the problem
you're seeing is not due to CustMapsList.

> My hypothesis is that email send to a custom domain at the second server is
> immediately relayed to the first server without checking. At the first server
> the source of the email appears to be the second server and thus is not
> rejected.
>
> Is the above correct and is there a workaround?

Your setup is fine, but the problem is not what you think. When using a
setup like yours, the second domain has no way to know which users are
valid for the first domain, so it blindly accept emails for all users of
the first domain.
IMO the best option to perform a secondary MX setup, is to replicate
master domain users into the slave server, and put a single domain global
mailproc.tab with an smtprelay to the master server.