In article <498198a5.1020...@amitrader.com>, r...@amitrader.com (Ralf)
wrote:

> Hmm... I think there are some misunderstandings here.

Possibly. My understanding was that SPF stopped emails coming from what
was apparently the wrong server for the domain.

e.g. my email address is g...@bainb.co.uk. If I send any email it has
that 'From' address, no matter which server I send it through.

If I send this via the server where my domain is registered - in my case
my own server, but previously the server belonging to my ISP - then it is
accepted.

However if I send an email with my 'From' address (g...@bainb.co.uk) via
my cellphone company's server then it will be rejected by the recipient
as that server is not in my domain's DNS record. Note that I have to use
their server if I send an email via my phone (at least that's true unless
I use my own webmail).

>From the OpenSPF website:

>When an AOL user sends mail to you, an email server that belongs to AOL >
connects to an email server that belongs to you. AOL uses SPF to >publish
the addresses of its email servers. When the message comes in, >your
email servers can tell if the server on the other end of the >connection
belongs to AOL or not.

Have I misunderstood?

        Gary.