On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Ralf wrote:

> Ralf wrote:
> > While testing xmail I encountered the following:
> >
> > According to the following document Microsoft seems to use
> > the following syntax in their mail clients:
> >   MAIL FROM:ad...@test.com
> >   RCPT TO: u...@domain.com
>
> Here is the above mentioned MS document:
>   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

Since SMTP is not an MS standard, better take a look at RFC2821:

4.1.2 Command Argument Syntax

   The syntax of the argument fields of the above commands (using the
   syntax specified in [8] where applicable) is given below.  Some of
   the productions given below are used only in conjunction with source
   routes as described in appendix C.  Terminals not defined in this
   document, such as ALPHA, DIGIT, SP, CR, LF, CRLF, are as defined in
   the "core" syntax [8 (section 6)] or in the message format syntax
   [32].

      Reverse-path = Path
      Forward-path = Path
      Path = "<" [ A-d-l ":" ] Mailbox ">"
      A-d-l = At-domain *( "," A-d-l )
            ; Note that this form, the so-called "source route",
            ; MUST BE accepted, SHOULD NOT be generated, and SHOULD be
            ; ignored.
      At-domain = "@" domain
      Mail-parameters = esmtp-param *(SP esmtp-param)
      Rcpt-parameters = esmtp-param *(SP esmtp-param)