On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Francesco Vertova wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> if an address in the envelope of a spool file fails the syntax check (I had an
> example of a null recipient, "RCPT TO:<>"), currently XMail raises a -55
> ERR_INVALID_SPOOL_FILE error and silently freezes the message.
>
> I think in these cases a bounce would be appropriate, to let the sender know
> that delivery failed due to a syntax error (most likely a typo). Keep in mind
> that MUAs which drop stuff in spool/local bypass SMTP checks and feedback.

What you have seen in the latest bug report, it is a bug. You cannot have
an invalid spool file (unless you either screw it up with a filter or you
open an editor an change it) since it is generated by XMail and addresses
are checked before.
Take a MAIL FROM:<...> parse failure example. If that fails to parse, how
could XMail know where to send the bounce? Simply put, these are bugs and
internal errors, that happened in a pre-release, from which there is no
sane recovery.