On 1 Apr 2010, at 19:45, Davide Libenzi wrote:
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>> At any given time I have about 100 mails destined to go nowhere due to
>> forged mail setting off a challenge, because the MX record is just "."
>> or sometimes "dev.null".  It would be nice if such errors were detected
>> immediately.  When these mails are in the queue, any new mail arriving
>> by SMTP is delayed quite noticeably.  Is there anything I can do about
>> this except
>> find /var/xmail/MailRoot/spool ! -type d -delete
>> from time to time?  Would it be possible to deal with new mail received
>> by SMTP first, then the stuff in rsnd directories?
>
> The command above would be a really bad idea, as it'd nuke the spool :)
> On top of that, if you do that when XMail is running, you are going to
> mess up with it, since you are removing content from within its domain.
> At the moment you'd need to do it externally, by parsing the spool.
> But if you want to remove stuff from it, you better stop XMail before, and
> clean all the associated files inside the spool.

Yep, XMail stopped by first touching MailRoot/.shutdown and waiting for the
file to disappear for a few seconds.  Then the above command, after checking
that the files are only slog/* and rsnd/*, i.e., mails being retransmitted
which I know I didn't send.  The directories are left alone.  Then restart, and
it's snappy again.  I will look at increasing the number of queue threads if it
keeps happening.

Cheers,
Sabahattin