> Attached is a diff between my .config and yours.  When you upgraded to
> 2.6, did you use your 2.4 .config file and just run "make oldconfig"?

heck no. I figured that'd be a problem, being that much has changed.
they didn't advise it back when 2.2 migrated to 2.4, and I figured it'd
be the same with 2.6. :)

> One performance-related difference I notice right off the bat is that I
> have kernel preemption enabled and you don't.  I wouldn't expect this to
> have much of an effect on xmame, though.

generally, it shouldn't. but the reason it's disabled in that config is
because I read that from 2.6.0-test10 on, they've had a weird bug with
kernel preemption. so I have one bzImage with it enabled, and one with
it disabled. no difference whatsoever, actually.

the one thing I'm thinking is it's mostly sound-related, so I'm going to
try regressing to the OSS drivers. another thing is that I compile
everything I need into a big monolithic kernel (like linus does), and I
read on the gentoo boards that alsa has issues when not compiled as a
module.