> > It's hard to beleive there's no reliable way to know the state of the
> > retrace register on the gfx card under X. If so, how can it be possible
> > that I only encounter this problem in xmame and not in mplayer, ... ?
>
> Some Xv implementations are permanently vsynced by default, without the
> intervention of the program using it. Yours is probably.

But I'm using Xv for xmame too. So if I understand well what you said, if it's
ok under mplayer using xv, it should be ok under xmame using xv.
Anyway, as I mentioned on the first mail of this thread, the problem is worst
with dga and sdl. I see really less artifacts with Xv than with sdl.

> > Well, if they are about to make the same mistake as Xfree86 about this
> > subject, I shall bug them about that ;-)
> X.org X11 is a fork of XFree86. They didn't "make the same mistake", it's
> the same codebase.

Yeps you're right, my comment was nasty and totally irrelevant.
Anyway, if there's something to be done in order to allow this low level
hardware operation under X, I guess it would not be an easy change (correct
me if I'm wrong). So I wonder to know wich dev team between Xfree86 and X.org
would be more entousiastic with this kind of work.