On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 10:24:19AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>-use of tweaked vga modes in svgalib target (is/was this used by anyone?

I do! I do! Unfortunately getting svgalib 1.9's svgalib_helper kernel
module to play nice with Linux kernel 2.6.x is a bitch :(

>About games like bombjack, using 8 bpp modes isn't going to be such a
>big speedup as it used to be since we currently don't have any kind of
>dirty marking so we have to update the whole bitmap in the framebuffer
>anyway.

Unfortunately, yes. (On the other hand, you're still only blasting 1/2
or 1/4 as many octets...)

(I wish I had oodles of free time and energy; I'd fork MAME and maintain
it myself, or better yet, try to work up alternate emulators that are
more flexible and have less asinine licensing. Dealing with upstream
arbitrariness seems to be a major source of 'discussion' in this list.)

> Also svgalib itself seems to be pretty much unmaintained, the latest
> stable release is ancient and doesn't compile on modern distro's
> without a pile of patches.

Quite. But at least it works... eventually. :)

> And svgalib has been dropped from most current distros (debian never
> drops anything, except for licensing reasons)

Most current distros are targeted at people who spend their entire lives
in X with KDE or Gnome. :(

> Besides that in 1 few years most pc's will have lcd screens, try
> throwing  a tweaked mode at that.

Okay SOME, maybe, but MOST? Only if we're all using iMacs and laptops,
and that would suck. :)

>-under X11 we need to share the palette with other apps

Bah.  Fullscreen!

>In other words: please tell me you don't want this cruft so I can clean
>it out :)

In that case, I deeply apologise.
--
Matthew Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Is that exclamation point REALLY necessary?