(I wish I had oodles of free time and energy; I'd fork MAME and maintain
it myself, or better yet, try to work up alternate emulators that are
more flexible and have less asinine licensing. Dealing with upstream
arbitrariness seems to be a major source of 'discussion' in this list.)

dirty updates & 8 bit palettes have been dropped from the core, but it's entirely possible for xmame to support the remapping ( in the same way dosmame does ). Both had good reasons for them being dropped ( dirty updates were dropped as it had to be supported by each individual driver & most of them didn't. IIRC it screwed up either double or triple buffering, 8 bit palettes were dropped because so many games need more than 256 colour palette entries and a number of games were kludged to get them onto 256 colour screens ).

If the graphics card is slow then you could still do some form of dirty updates by comparing against the previous frame. If your entire machine is really slow then just use a really old version of MAME ( which is eventually what you'd end up with if you forked anyway ).

The license isn't draconian enough for my taste & there is no upstream arbitrariness.

smf