Matthias Saou wrote:
Hi,

I've got a 1680x1050 (16/10th) display on my laptop, and by default xmame
stretches, thus flattens a little, all the 4/3rd games when run in
fullscreen. I need to manually set displayaspectratio to 1.6 in order to
get a proper display, where those games then appear properly, with some
black vertical bars on both sides.

Is this wanted? Does this mean that xmame always assumes an aspect ratio of
4/3rd?

Yes it is, the purpose of -displayaspectratio is to allow you to specify that you've got a not 4/3 display.

With more and more displays getting pretty weird "widescreen" resolutions,
wouldn't it be nice to have xmame get the resolution from the X server and
compute a default aspect ratio from there if it's not being manually
overridden?

Erm, that won't work since you also have modes like 320x200 and 640x350 on a 4/3 display which are not 4/3. There is not nescesarrilly a relation between the resolution and the aspect ratio of the screen.

This all assumes that modes get stretched to fill the entire screen which is not nescesarrilly true with LCDs, but I don't even want to think about the scenarios in that case.

Regards,

Hans