Thats exactly the point I'm trying to make, so you can't use the resolution to determine the monitor aspect.

Ah ok, this bit confused me "Erm, that won't work since you also have modes like 320x200 and 640x350 on a 4/3 display which are not 4/3.", saying they are not 4/3. I guess you meant pixel ratio....

Those modes are old though, 1280x1024 is a better example of a mode that doesn't have square pixels. The closest square pixel mode for that is 1280x960.

Most operating systems cannot tell you what the aspect ratio of the monitor actually is, which is what the -aspectratio switch is for.

A monitor that doesn't stretch the image to the whole screen is a bad design ( alot of the weird ratio monitors are like this though ), it's probably better to force mame to run in the natural resolution of your lcd and scale the video full screen instead.

Phill