Looks like massive changes to the MAME video core and its OSD interface are in progress:

http://aarongiles.com/?p=160

As Arbee suggests in the comment thread, it might be a good idea for Lawrence or Hans to give Aaron a friendly hand and make sure that the new video system doesn't "accidentally" end up including more Windows-centric assumptions than necessary. Aaron's a great programmer and I don't mean to ascribe any sinister motives to him given that he works for MS, but he hasn't programmed for anything but Win32 in many years, and if I'm not mistaken he has no UNIX experience whatsoever (he used to be a Mac dev but that was long before OS X). And the last time he implemented a change of this magnitude was when he introduced the new debugger, which /still/ doesn't work on any non-Win32 version of MAME/MESS.

--AWJ--