On 07/06/2007, at 10:07AM, Sebastien Cevey wrote:

> We certainly want our clip to play for sure out of the box as soon as
> XMMS2 is installed, otherwise it would give the wrong impression that
> there is a problem. But do we really want XMMS2 to depend on Ogg
> Vorbis
> libs?
>
> (MP3 is of course even worse, as you need to tweak the sources in
> Debian
> distros to install mad or other decoding libs.)

Nope, this is wrong. The libmad0 package is even available in Debian
Stable, these days.

> I'm not much into a full song because it makes the package much larger
> (and no, managing several packages is unnecessary complexity). Note
> that
> the goal of XMMS2 is to be a sexy Free music player, not to promote
> bands, no matter how "free" they are.

I definitely agree with this - I think you hit the nail on the head
there. In my opinion, the sample clip's primary goal is to
demonstrate that the player is in working order. That it helps
'promote' an artist (or a genre of music, or some other cause) is
only a side effect of it being bundled in the package, not really a
starting goal. XMMS2 is not (yet?) a music/artist promotion/marketing
channel. :P

> Personally, I think what would be nice is a small clip (30s max), that
> changes with every release, and containing a short voice-over at the
> beginning or the end, saying something like "XMMS2, DrJekyll - World's
> favourite personality disorder music player!" (and possibly citing the
> source of the clip). It should be short and sharp and funny, and
> change
> with every release too. It would give a more personal tone to the
> project (identity is important!), more dynamic.

Sounds interesting.. but who's going to come up with the content and
record/produce the final clip? :)

Cheers.
-S