At Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:13:46 +0200, Erik Massop wrote:

Hello,

> If the CollectionIdlists-table is made to be kept in sync always, it
> is probably quite easy to create a xmms_idlist_query_infos which
> gets the appropiate data in the appropiate order in one medialib
> query. Without doing this, the most straightforward way would be to
> do a seperate query for every entry in the idlist, in which case the
> performance would be quite similar to doing several of the
> python-equivalent of xmmsc_medialib_get_info.

I am not sure this problem is related to the CollectionIdlists table,
although maybe the solution is.  But to me the problem is simply that
collections only work on and retrieve sets, they don't support lists.
Supporting medialists (along mediasets, as currently) in the DAG,
either because the source is ordered (an Idlist), or because you
insert a Sorting collection operator, is part of the features we
envisioned for collections 2.0.. which Erik/nesciens applied to work
on during GSoC ;-)

Also note that if you have a lot of redundant entries in your
playlist, the current behaviour is more efficient since you're not
transfering a lot of the same data multiple times. Naturally, you have
to do the position -> metadata attribution manually. It's not always
so painful depending on the toolkit/MVC architecture you're using (I
did it in Qt, it was okay).

But I definitely would like to be able to do both.  Retaining the
order of the Idlist throughout the DAG down to the query would also
make it possible to have a nice _ordered_ filtering (think 'j' in
XMMS1).

nesciens, sounds doable to you (I hope) ? :-)

--
Sébastien Cevey