Frank Dischner wrote:
> Yes and no. As far as I can tell, they can only do passive upmixing.
> My plugin performs an fft and uses the phase and magnitude to steer

Hmm, do you use some library for FFT or do you perform it yourself? Just
curious...

> output. Changing PA_CHANNEL_MAP_DEFAULT to PA_CHANNEL_MAP_ALSA gives
> the 'standard' channel map. A more proper fix, which is mentioned in
> the above thread, would be to implement channel mapping and convert
> between mappings when necessary.

I think defining channel mapping would be a very important change that
needs to be done sooner or later. I don't know if you have interest in
making a suggest implementation, but if you do, I personally think it
would be great. I guess one problem is that very few or none of the
developers have multichannel output system available, so there would
have to be one person checking for the multichannel support and possible
bitrot.

> Are these changes acceptable? If so, I will begin working on a patch
> after I finish cleaning up my plugin.

They're acceptable to me, someone else could give a second opinion though.

> Another thing, xmms2 refuses to play any ac3 files. It should be
> supported by avcodec, but it seems that the magic is never added. Am I
> missing something? Should I file a bug report?

There's a reason for this. I remember when the avcodec plugin was added
to the source tree I tried to get AC-3 support working but it was
crappy, most likely because the ffmpeg implementation itself was crappy.
Not to even mention that xmms2 multichannel support just broke things up
and there is still no downmixing in xmms2 for me to listen multichannel
AC3 tracks with my old stereo system.

At the time most applications doing AC3 were using liba52 for it and it
might even be that ffmpeg itself needed it to work. Now I see that
there's a GSoC code for AC3 in libavcodec added in 2006 and extended in
2007 that might do the job well without changes. If you can add the
magic into the avcodec plugin and test it with your setup it would be
really helpful. I can help on this one too if necessary, since I know
the avcodec plugin side. You can always file a bug report, this should
be classified as feature request.

Juho