Hello all,

I just uploaded a patch for my plugin to mantis, #2134.

> Hmm, do you use some library for FFT or do you perform it yourself? Just
> curious...

I use fftw.

> I think defining channel mapping would be a very important change that
> needs to be done sooner or later. I don't know if you have interest in
> making a suggest implementation, but if you do, I personally think it

I have some ideas about this. Basically, add a new channel map stream
property and add support for channel map conversions to the converter plugin.
This way, decoders can specify the channel map of their output stream and
output plugins can specify which channel maps they can deal with. Then the
converter can downmix, upmix, or reorder as necessary. I'll add a proposal to
the wiki after I've thought about it some more.

> would be great. I guess one problem is that very few or none of the
> developers have multichannel output system available, so there would
> have to be one person checking for the multichannel support and possible
> bitrot.

I'd be willing to volunteer for this, as it's something I'm interested
in anyways.

> They're acceptable to me, someone else could give a second opinion though.

I'll start working on them unless someone shouts.

> There's a reason for this. I remember when the avcodec plugin was added
> to the source tree I tried to get AC-3 support working but it was
> crappy, most likely because the ffmpeg implementation itself was crappy.
> Not to even mention that xmms2 multichannel support just broke things up
> and there is still no downmixing in xmms2 for me to listen multichannel
> AC3 tracks with my old stereo system.

If you use pulse, it will automatically downmix for you if it's using
two channel
output (provided xmms supplies it with the correct channel map).

> At the time most applications doing AC3 were using liba52 for it and it
> might even be that ffmpeg itself needed it to work. Now I see that
> there's a GSoC code for AC3 in libavcodec added in 2006 and extended in
> 2007 that might do the job well without changes. If you can add the

There's a somewhat recent post on the ffmpeg list (I think) stating
that avcodec's
ac3 decoder is now faster and more robust than liba52.

> magic into the avcodec plugin and test it with your setup it would be
> really helpful. I can help on this one too if necessary, since I know
> the avcodec plugin side. You can always file a bug report, this should
> be classified as feature request.

If I can find the magic for ac3, I'll try it out.

Frank