KP> Can DPS handle a non-uniform set of colors?

No.  The protocol requires a colour cube (not necessarily cubic) and a
gray ramp (possibly being the diagonal of the colour cube); in
addition, the relevant colourmap indices need to be in arithmetic
progression.

The current implementation additionally requires that the colour cube
be cubic.

KP> If you made DPS use Render, these questions would all be moot :-)

I'll most definitely move DPS to be above RENDER when I next have some
time to work on it (something that hasn't happened in over six months,
though).  But I'll still use Ghostscript's code for dithering.

                                        Juliusz