>  Personally, I'd like to see as little intelligence as possible
>in X, but I do admit that it is unfortunate so many apps which
>currently use Xv just do it directly.

Not the X server, the X libs. It isn't any different doing it in
the libs than doing it in SDL.

>  Still, I really wouldn't want to have my X server wasting its
>time doing scaling.  Ugh.  It's way too expensive to have a
>software fallback.

Exactly, The X protocol (or any driver interface) should be lean,
but there should be a library layer in between the clients and
the protocol to hide the uglies. use libXv.so to hide the uglies
and if you don't want a software fallback then you don't have to
have one.

 -Matt